Pedro

Pedro
In various states and ages...

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Poetry and Income Taxes...


When poetry and income taxes

collide in inner space it’s like the apogee

and the nadir of the human race

have intersected on the dashboard of your heart.


The other day while doing taxes,

I wondered why my tide-filled, fluid well

appeared to have gone bone-dry and empty.

The guillotined sharpness of dealing

with pennies, nickels, dimes and dollars

had mortified my use of rhymes,

the latter were not to be found anywhere.


The usual group I float within my soup

were arid, dry, desert-like, and missing.

Not a shark, parking lark, thistle, whistle,

or crow’s shrill, head-banging call

bounced off my walls, only the dull thud

off bottom lines colliding with gravity.


Then I gave some thought and wondered if

both sides of the brain were mutually exclusive,

like portions of the human race left unseated

on an empty bus to Nowhere...

“Nah, can’t be,” I exclaimed,

“I can open the windows and

let them all back in again...”


And I did, like whispers and typhoons

they entered and took their seats,

rattling glass and lunch bags,

dropping their peanut butter sandwiches

and lunch money quarters

in both laughter and applause.


But no IRS agent I’m sure in cubicle’d grandeur

or cluttered counter space will endure the

atrophying of his brain while circumcising

the bottom line of my drain’s return this year.

If he or she can’t find this funny, all bets are off by 8%.

©Peter Bray, 3/28/10 All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment