Pedro

Pedro
In various states and ages...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Like a Knife Thrown Into Barnwood...

Like a knife thrown into barnyard wood,
you get pretty good at it...
You know the weight and balance of the knife,
know the hurricane sharpness of its point
and the flash of its steel...
and you keep it that way, like surgical steel,
stainless steel...
Know how to grind it down on the wheel,
grind it to a fine point,
keep it balanced like an aerodynamic missile...
flip it just right, across the barnyard air,
not far from the metal horse trough,
the white-washed buildings, over the
cow manure dust, the heat and memories
of my summers' youth, even dodge the whizz
of the dragonflies or invite them in to watch,
them and their busy dragonfly eyes...
"Watch this..." you say, and flip it once,
twice, three times, twenty-four times, thirty-two...
each time across the barnyard, a few early ones
go high or low or errant, a few are lost until
you get right on target and the barnyard wood finally says,
"OK! I got the picture...so you know how to WRITE!...
Go back to bed..."And so I do...mood nearly over...I'm spent...
and the barn/house/corral dust of my grandparents' farm
settles back down into my memory of being 12 again
and I'm wondering if I could still stick this knife into
that barnwood shed over there...And I do...
Mission accomplished one more time...
©Peter Bray, 2009 and 1/30/10 All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment