Pedro

Pedro
In various states and ages...

Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Delays For Harry...

Dirty Harry Potter, our formerly feral
housecat prefers his meals to be served
in a big-assed hurry, the faster
he oscillates horizontally behind my calves
while I stand at the morning stove
buttering my toasted sesame seed bagel,
the hurrier he thinks I will get.
Somewhat the speed curve
if not mindset he developed while
avoiding cars in a Benicia or Vallejo
restaurant parking lot or the snap
of a frycook's towel while dining on scraps
just beyond a House of Delight's dumpster.

But Harry has come a long way.
He was bright enough to get caught
reluctantly by Friends of Animals,
get his shots, get cleaned up, and
get his ear clipped in order to label him
"Formerly Feral" for the rest of the world
to see should he escape one more time
into Cat Freedom just beyond our front
and/or back screendoors.

His deep and wide if not varied gene pool,
no doubt gave him his Call of the Wild talent
as a cat songwriter and performer.
If rubbi
ng my calves exposed beneath
my morning robe doesn't win me over
in split seconds, his bevy of new,
soon-to-be-recorded cat songs will, he thinks...
He's talking if not singing, always...

Sorry, Harry, but despite outward appearances
to the contrary, I was NOT raised by wolves...
Though patience may be learned sometimes
in a parking lot, empty with hunger while
under a restaurant's decking,
waiting in the rain...
©Peter Bray, 1/16/10 All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment